Shiku

Muh, das Telefonbuch

Brave New World
David Bradshaw, Aldous Huxley
Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #I)
Kelley Armstrong
Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
Kelley Armstrong
Untot: Lauf, solange du noch kannst  - Kirsty McKay Die deutsche Rezension findet ihr hier.

3.5
___________________________

Bobby thought that it could not get any worse. Against her will, she is back in the UK and instead of starting school right away she has to go on a class trip with all those kids she does not know. When they are finally on their way back, the unexpected happens: Bobby’s classmates drop down dead and her teacher comes back as a zombie. For now she barricades herself into the bus with three others: Smitty, the stereotypical rebel, Alice, who definitely earned herself the title “Barbie” and Pete, who is rather shy and the brains of the group. Together they try to find a way to get help, but that is more difficult than they thought. Mr. Taylor is not the only one who returned from the dead …

“Undead” starts instantly. At first, we get to know Bobby, who would like to be anywhere but here, but then she is on the run from zombies. Boredom really is not something you could blame the book for; the characters barely get time to catch their breath. They need to try to find help and if they want to escape the zombies, they need to keep moving. This is what they do, though not always in a way I expected them to.

The thing is: the book is full of stereotypes. It is the traditional horror story with the, pardon my English, annoying chick, the cool guy, the nerd and the uncomplicated heroine. The only one missing was the clown, but you could debate about whether he really does not appear or whether he does.
The story itself is nothing new. In fact, I was surprised when the author started to explain the zombie situation. I really did not expect that and had been willing to accept the apocalypse as it was, without any explanations. On the other hand, without some background information there would be no link to the next book; however, this link is – together with the amusing ending – well established.
After all, there do not have to be many new things to write an entertaining story and that is what Kirsty McKay managed to do. The mix of killing zombies, horror and humour is fun, and I did not expect anything else from this book.

When it comes to the language, it is more a case of “someone tried to sound youthfully casual a little bit too hard”. The book sounds as if Bobby is telling us right now what happened. Might be that I am already too old with my once 20 years of age, but sometimes it was simply too much. Still, most of the time I was not put off and it would not be the first time I was surprised about how some people talk.

“Undead” offers nothing new but solid entertainment with fun and horror. If you are up to blood and gallows humour, you do not make a mistake by reading this book. The youthful style suits the protagonist and makes it sound as if you are told the story instead of reading it, but sometimes it is a little bit too much of effort.