Shiku

Muh, das Telefonbuch

Brave New World
David Bradshaw, Aldous Huxley
Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #I)
Kelley Armstrong
Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
Kelley Armstrong
The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) - Julie Kagawa Die deutsche Rezension findet ihr hier.
___________________________

Even as a child, Allison Sekemoto had to get along on her own. So it is not too big a problem to travel alone again, especially since she is a vampire now and has the strength to take care of herself. However, she might not need to fear rabids too much, but there are still people she should stay away from. Unfortunately, one of them is exactly where she wants to go.
There is unexpected help though from someone she never wanted to meet again, and from someone she never expected to meet again – still, she has to accept because she is running out of time and the way is long. Not to mention the one problem she constantly has to deal with: will she be one of the monsters she despises so much in the end, or will she be able to keep some of her humanity?

I already had some problems with the first book, but never so much that my interest in the ongoing story faded. Book two, on the other hand, does some more mistakes, so that I find myself doubting whether it was such a good idea to continue reading – even though I still hope that this is just one of those second books that often are a disappointment.

It is not too likely, however, as a lot of things are going on in “The Eternity Cure”, which is why it cannot be seen as one of those “gap books” that are supposed to make a trilogy out of a duology. Still, much of what is happening is very foreseeable. During the first 30% of the book there is nothing that would be the least bit surprising. Normally, this is not exactly required for a novel, but there clearly is something amiss if one is able to guess every single turn. It changes slightly as the story goes on, though only because the concerning characters did not appear often beforehand and were therefore not well-known or remembered. Real surprises – and in this case something that would create suspense – is not to be found in this sequel. Even in the end, when something happens that did surprise me with its radicalness (though the occurrence itself was, again, not surprising at all), the author managed to take a turn which makes me sure I know where all of this is leading to.

Another thing about the ending that irked me: Allie comes to a conclusion I could not completely follow, but to elaborate that further would be a spoiler. However, in general the protagonist shows something I would name the Meghan syndrome. Julie Kagawa’s other protagonist was in a constant need of rescue and used to be extremely whiny. The first one fortunately still does not apply to Allie, but she did develop a nasty tendency to overdramatize things. Sometimes, she made herself the very centre of some new information and interpreted it in a way that made it clear she sees herself as a little bit too important. This is why I liked her a little less. Furthermore, the author includes romantic scenes where none should be. The current situation is serious, so characters really should have other concerns than kissing – instead, many have to be actually dying for the others to get back to business. Why? Where is the sense in that, or is it to make readers angry? I am not opposed to romance, but everything has its time and it is really not like Allie could not help.

Otherwise, the book offers nice entertainment, paradoxically thanks to a character that should not be likable at all. Some characters do not show any notable development compared to the first book and it cannot be said about some other ones because they did not appear often or for very long. Anyway, there is a reunion with Jackal, who is, in his reckless and murderous way, quite funny and not the villain he is thought to be; still, it will not do any good to trust him too much.

“The Eternity Cure” is not a bad book, but unfortunately, Allie slowly becomes a second Meghan which she really cannot afford to do just now. Besides, 90% of the book are rather foreseeable in such I way that I think I roughly know how it is going to end. It could have been so good: Julie Kagawa does not deal with unimportant details and presents a quick-paced story with an actual plot. Still, in the end this is only enough for a moderate rating.